Thursday, May 14, 2015

Innocent + Twisted Alchemy May 2015 Subscription Swatches


I'm super excited to share these swatches and review of Innocent + Twisted Alchemy's May 2015 subscription box!  The theme for this month is Alien which is a movie starring Sigourney Weaver about an extraterrestrial infiltrating a spacecraft and killing the crew members (I'm not putting a spoiler alert mainly because it's such an old movie!).  I didn't watch this for the longest time because I'm not fond of watching super old movies because the quality is not that great.  However, while rewatching one of SNL's Lasercats skits, Sigourney Weaver guest starred as her character in Alien, Ripley, and I became interested.  I ended up marathoning the whole series (barring the horrible AvP spin-offs) and really enjoyed the franchise.

As soon as Linda snuck a peek of the theme two months ago, I've been excited for this box.  Alien was a makeup theme I never knew I wanted, but once proposed, I can't imagine being without it.  I don't really use neutrals much, but they are the only color family that make sense with the film, given how the atmosphere is very dark and gloomy.  

Anyway, my box shipped last week, and from previous experiences, it arrives at my house around two to three days later which is extremely fast.  However, this time took much longer and I ended up tracking it.  USPS decided to take my package for a week long joyride without updating at all.  I was really upset because I was so excited for this package and I'm pretty sure the post office knows that.  Anytime something I really want is on its way, they decide to delay it for some reason.  After numerous calls to USPS and them MISDELIVERING it, I received it today.  I immediately opened it up and did some swatches, then realized they would all look great together and slapped them on my eyes too!

I'm really sorry about my long rambles, I just really love this box.  Kudos, Linda!

Pictures taken over daylight bulb and swatched over ELF Glitter Primer (top/left half) and ELF Essential Primer (bottom/right half)


Look how freaking cool this label art is?!  This box is everything.


Face Hugger
Face Hugger:  shimmery beige with slight green sheen.  This shade, along with all the others in today's box is extremely pigmented and work amazingly over regular primer.




Ripley
Ripley:  brown with strong green sheen.  "Ripleyyyyyyyyy" is what comes to mind (from Lasercats).  I know the base looks more plum in my swatch, but it was more brown in person.  The green sheen was also so strong and prominent on my eyes that it looked downright silver.




Drone
Drone:  gunmetal sage.  How awesome is this color?  It definitely reminds me of the Xenomorph, albeit lighter, since the Xenomorph looked straight up black in the movies.  I'm impressed at how pigmented this is over regular primer as well.  My experience with dark colors has not been good, usually they apply patchy or fade away to nothing over regular primer.  Drone, however, stays on well and does retain some of the sparkles you see over a sticky base.




Moonflow
Moonflow:  medium pink with gold sheen.  This is a sample from Siren Song Cosmetics.  I haven't tried that company yet, so I'm happy I got a sample from them in this box.  Admittedly, the pink didn't really match the whole color scheme (you'll notice it stands out a lot in the group shot), but the formula is really nice.  It's very soft and pigmented and the gold sheen didn't take a lot of work to stand out.




Quarantine
Quarantine:  tarnished gold.  This a shade Aromaleigh created exclusively for this box.  It's very shimmery and pigmented.  It's a lot less olive than the swatch shows and definitely a tarnished gold.




Xenomorph
Xenomorph:  mulberry base with strong copper red sheen.  This is another shade created exclusively for this box by the company Femme Fatale Cosmetics.  They're famous for their duochromes and this one is very beautiful.  I love how the copper red sparks show up even on regular primer.  I found this shade to be similar to Fyrinnae's Mephisto and Notoriously Morbid's The Grand Empress, although I haven't swatched them side by side yet.




Extraterrestrial
Extraterrestrial:  pinky brown lipstick.  This is a lipstick sample from the company Limnit Lipsticks.  I have several of their other shades in their old formula and this one is even better!  It's very creamy and comfortable on the lips.

Face Hugger, Ripley, Drone, Moonflow, Quarantine, Xenomorph, Extraterrestrial


Bonus FotD!

Face Hugger (inner corner), Ripley (lid), Drone (outer corner and crease) all over Notoriously Morbid's Shadow Bind

Alien products on face with Extraterrestrial on lips

If you couldn't already tell from my long introduction, I absolutely LOVE this month's box!  I've been waiting for this box for almost two months and it definitely did not disappoint.  All of the colors that Linda made correlate with the film so well and the other samples that were included were great as well (except for Moonflow, which was a wonderful color but looked out of place with the rest).  The products work wonderfully together as well, too bad I only got to use three out of seven shadows.  I'm hoping Linda considers releasing a permanent Aliens collection, as well as Predator because both characters are very fascinating!

Until next time!  (I also realize I haven't posted April's sub review yet so...keep an eye out for that haha.)

- Jolie ♥

4 comments:

  1. Your swatches are absolutely gorgeous! Have subscribed and look forward to reading more posts xx
    Lani
    www.lani-loves.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your support, Lani!

      Delete
  2. I received a different Siren Song shade - a bright red. So I would guess a selection was sent out?
    And as above, your swatches are lovely! This was a great assortment 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! The owner, Linda, said random colors from a collection were sent out but I think she did try to choose ones that fit the theme :)

      Delete