Thursday, August 7, 2014

Geek Chic Cosmetics Sample Haul - Swatches and Review


It's been a pretty long while since I've made a purchase from Geek Chic Cosmetics!  Even though they are one of my favorite indie companies, I don't buy often because the samples contain a lot less product than I get from other companies.  Since my last order, they have come out with three new eyeshadow collections, a Color of the Month, a new solid perfume line, and brought back an old eyeshadow collection.  They were having a small sale so I decided to pick some new shadows up along with some solid perfumes.

Pictures taken under daylight bulb and swatches done over ELF Essential Primer (click to enlarge)


Gunkata
Gunkata:  black base loaded with blue and red sparkles.  The blue sparkles are a lot more prominent than the red, but the red is still there.  Gunkata was one of their Color of the Months and I was sucked in by the color and label art.  I enjoy watching movies featuring Gun-fu, so this was a no brainer for me!



Professional Curiosity
Professional Curiosity:  nude pink with blue sparkles and green sheen




Battle Dress
Battle Dress:  creamsicle orange with a satin finish




He's Eating Them
He's Eating Them:  reddened brown with a satin finish




Old Fashioned Villain
Old Fashioned Villain:  lavender with gold sparkles

Daylight:  Gunkata, Professional Curiosity, Battle Dress, He's Eating Them, Old Fashioned Villain
Flash:  Gunkata, Professional Curiosity, Battle Dress, He's Eating Them, Old Fashioned Villain


Rose Bride
Rose Bride:  blue gray with green sheen




Ravenstag
Ravenstag:  navy with blue sparkles




High-Functioning Sociopath
High-Functioning Sociopath:  blue with gold sparkles




Solid Snake
Solid Snake:  shimmery steel blue with blue sparkles.  As you can see from the group swatches below, High-Functioning Sociopath and Solid Snake are actually very similar.  They almost have the same shade of blue, so I wouldn't say you need both of them.  Whichever one you choose is all up to preference.  High-Functioning Sociopath has a satin finish with obvious gold sparkles, whereas Solid Snake has more blue shimmers throughout.

Daylight:  Rose Bride, Ravenstag, High-Functioning Sociopath, Solid Snake
Flash:  Rose Bride, Ravenstag, High-Functioning Sociopath, Solid Snake


Farplane
Farplane:  metallic rose gold.  Forgive the product picture, I had actually tried it on before taking pictures so that's why it doesn't look smooth.  This joystick smells like cupcakes and is very pretty.  I actually like it better than my Shiro custom gloss in "I Tried" because it's warmer and less metallic; Farplane is definitely more wearable.

Daylight:  Farplane
Flash:  Farplane

Forensic Fairy Tale
Forensic Fairy Tale:  cherry and raspberry with a hint of vanilla.  These scents are very realistic and I feel like I can take a bite out of them.  All of the solid scents in the Pushing Daisies collection are supposed to be reminiscent of food.  I've never had any food perfumes so this was very interesting.  I'm not a fan of cherry, but the more I smell this, the more I like it.




The Lonely Tourist
The Lonely Tourist:  "Strawberry Rhubarb Pie, with added wildberrys and rounded out with buttery pie crust."  The description was taken from Geek Chic's website because I couldn't figure out what it smelled like.  I can definitely smell the berries, but the butter is also very strong.  I don't like this as much as Forensic Fairy Tale simply because of the strong butter smell.  It actually makes me a tiny bit nauseous, so I have to use it in moderation.  

Overall, I'm still a huge fan of Geek Chic Cosmetics because their eyeshadows are wonderful, pigmented, and smooth.  The standout shadow in my haul was definitely Ravenstag.  I used it in an eye look a few days ago and was so surprised at how dark it went on!  I would recommend checking out their website since they have a bunch of new stuff.  Their eyeshadow samples also had quite a bit more product than I received in the last haul, so maybe they have a better measuring system now.  I will probably be making another purchase once they have another sale.

- Jolie ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment