Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Notoriously Morbid Black Friday Haul - Swatches and Review


Happy New Year everyone!  I hope you guys spent it with family and loved ones, I know I did :)

I'm continuing on my Black Friday haul reviews that have been pouring in for the past two weeks or so.  Notoriously Morbid had an amazing Flash Sale for 60% off I believe.  I only got samples, which retails for $1.25, so 60% off is dirt cheap.  I decided to get mostly neutral colors because I've gotten most of the jewel-tones she had.  

One thing I noticed immediately was some labels were printed on nice plasticky paper that was more transparent but easier to peel.  I like these better because I tend to rip the paper ones very easily.  

My order also came in a pretty blue tissue paper with multicolored glitter, and a handwritten note as usual.


This may not seem like much, but it's such a nice gesture to take an extra few seconds to write a longer message for every person.  She often makes references to my old orders sometimes and I like the fact that she remembers (I feel so special!).


All swatches are done over bare skin and taken in sunlight (click to enlarge):

Goodbye Sweetie
Goodbye Sweetie swatch
Goodbye Sweetie:  beautiful white with gold shimmers.  I'm sorry this doesn't show up too well over my bare skin.  I have a medium yellow skin-tone so a lot of lighter colors tend not to show.  I've been debating on whether or not I should get this because I don't normally use light colors, but I really wanted a color based on my favorite Doctor Who character (River Song).  I enjoy the texture and pigmentation of this shade and I'll try to put it to good use.


Melancholy One
Melancholy One swatch
Melancholy One:  cerulean blue with blue shimmer.  This is part of NM's new collection inspired by A Christmas Carol.  It's very deceptive because it looks almost pink in the baggie, but swatches blue.  It's very interesting as is everything else from the collection.


Witch With A Wand
Witch With A Wand swatch
Witch With A Wand:  shimmery pale pink


Ebenezer, I Release You
Ebenezer, I Release You swatch
Ebenezer, I Release You:  satin pink with blue sheen.  This had a velvety texture and was also very pigmented.  It's part of the Christmas Carol collection and a pleasure to swatch.


Neno
Neno swatch
Neno:  taupe with white sparkles.  This is a very sparkly shade.  I'm wondering why I ordered this because I'm not a fan of sparkly shades.  I'll find a way to use this somehow.


Kilgharrah
Kilgharrah swatch
Kilgharrah:  satin green brown.  I ordered this shade because it's named after an awesome dragon, plus a lot of people recommend it.  It has a velvety texture which I enjoy.


Look Upon Me
Look Upon Me swatch
Look Upon Me:  satin plum with blue sheen.  This is also part of the Christmas Carol collection and one of my favorites of the haul.  It's pigmented with a velvety texture and just overall impressive.  I fell in love as soon as I swatched this one.


Young Merlin
Young Merlin swatch
Young Merlin:  satin warm brown with copper shimmer


I Am Afflicted
I Am Afflicted swatch
I Am Afflicted:  pigmented satin mahogany


Doc Brown
Doc Brown swatch
Doc Brown:  brown with gold shimmer


Shadow of Things
Shadow of Things swatch
Shadow of Things:  dark navy with aqua shimmer.  Another one from the Christmas Carol collection that I really love.  It has a very even application and is extremely impressive.  I own a few shadows that are dark navy with shimmer, but this one is one of the best textured ones by far.


Boe
Boe swatch
Boe:  satin reddened bronze.  This was my free sample and I was really glad to receive it.  It has that velvety texture that I enjoy and it gives off a beautiful subtle sheen.  I always have my eye on Boe, but end up not adding it for some reason.  I wish I would have ordered this instead of Neno, but I'm so glad Carrie sent this to me.


Cin's Sins
Cin's Sins swatch
Cin's Sins:  blue shadow with blue shimmer.  This was the other free sample that Carrie included.  This color is fairly straightforward and has an even application.  I would recommend this shade for anyone who likes blues.


That's my whole NM haul everyone!  I really have to stress how much I enjoy the Christmas Carol collection.  They all seem to have some sort of blue duochrome-sheen thing going on and it's absolutely stunning, especially on the more pink shades.  The texture of shades in that collection is also superb.  I hope it's a permanent collection because I think it's one of her best.

Have you tried the new NM shades yet?  If so, which ones were your favorite?

Also, if you guys have any New Year's resolutions, I'd like to hear them :)  Mine is to not buy anymore new indie makeup until I've used everything I own at least once!  (This hurts my heart a little bit because NM has a 40% sale going on right now until Jan. 2nd.)

- Jolie ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment